School History

Created to Meet the Need

The Superintendent of Schools approved a petition in 1883 to establish local School District No. 36. A donated log barn housed the first students until it was destroyed in the  late 1880s by a falling tree.  A new one-room school was constructed in 1890.  This frame-built structure was called Browns's School because the lumber was donated by Brown's Mill.

When the local post office opened in 1906, it was named after the postmaster's wife, Evaline, the school adopted the same name.  The one-room Evaline School was dismantled around 1908 and replaced with a two-room structure.  Expanding to meet the need, a new four-room structure was built in 1913.  The new school had a full basement, furnace- and indoor pluming!  This building was destroyed by fire in 1925 and the present two-room was constructed.  The school used coal for heat until 2005 when heat pumps were purchased with a grant.  In 2011, making sure to keep the buildings footprint intact, the interior of the building was remodeled to make better use of the basement and classroom space.   

School District No. 36 is Lewis County's oldest continuously operating school district, and the Evaline School is one of the last remaining two-room schools in Washington. Many of today's pupils are third and fourth generation Evaline students.  The school averages 45 students per year, ranging from kindergarten through sixth grade.